Team preview: Arkansas State
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams.COACH AND PROGRAM
A wise coach once said that building a program with a liberal portion of junior college players was like building a house of cards. Perhaps, but Arkansas State sure did so with a pair of aces last season.
Head coach Dickey Nutt watched newcomers Dewarick Spencer and J.J. Montgomery finish one-two, respectively, in Sun Belt scoring during their junior debuts, and they were the primary cogs in the Indians' 17-11 season.
Spencer (19.0 ppg, 5.6 rpg), a 6-3 senior, set a school record for points by a JUCO rookie and finished seventh nationally by shooting 45.7 percent while making 86 three-pointers.
The 6-5 senior Montgomery (17.9 ppg, 5.8 rpg) set school records for free throws (172) and free-throw attempts (223). Montgomery also tied a conference tournament record for free throws attempted in a game (17) and set another by making 14 of those. But Nutt said the best barometer for the duo's skills is the high interest of NBA scouts.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Parker's career-high 30 lead Duke by UNC
- Florida routs Kentucky to finish 18-0 in SEC
- WVU overcomes Wiggins' 41 to stun Kansas
- Ducks down No. 3 Arizona to win 7th straight
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM