Team preview: Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams.COACH AND PROGRAM
Sixty wins in three years. Do the math and that means Bruce Pearl's tenure at Wisconsin-Milwaukee is clicking along at one of those magic numbers in college basketball -- 20 wins a year.
The Panthers won the Horizon League regular season last winter with their second consecutive 13-3 league campaign. They barely missed the daily double, losing the conference tournament in Milwaukee against Illinois-Chicago, 65-62, when Ed McCants' three-point shot to force overtime kicked off the rim.
As much as Pearl would like to have won that game and gone to a second consecutive NCAA Tournament, he has no beef with McCants or his team. McCants, a junior-college transfer, was the Horizon Newcomer of the Year -- a complement to league player of the year Dylan Page -- and the Panthers still had a championship season despite losing a posse of veterans from the previous year.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Parker's career-high 30 lead Duke by UNC
- Florida routs Kentucky to finish 18-0 in SEC
- WVU overcomes Wiggins' 41 to stun Kansas
- Ducks down No. 3 Arizona to win 7th straight
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM