Team preview: Canisius
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams.COACH AND PROGRAM
This season will be about a lot of things for Canisius. First and foremost, it will be about remembering Richard.
Richard Jones, a 6-6 forward who would have been a senior this season, collapsed after shooting a jump shot during an individual workout on May 5. He was taken to an area hospital where he died later that day. The cause of Jones' death was a genetically enlarged heart.
Jones played in 88 games for the Golden Griffins, starting 47. He averaged 5.2 points and 4.3 rebounds in his career and scored Canisius' final points of last season with 26 seconds left in a 68-66 loss to Iona in the first round of the MAAC Tournament.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Wichita State reaches 34-0, wins MVC final
- Fond farewell: Terps stun Virginia in ACC finale
- Nebraska upsets ninth-ranked Wisconsin
- Cuse closes regular season with rout of FSU
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM