Team preview: St. John's
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams.COACH AND PROGRAM
Norm Roberts knew the challenges would be daunting when he accepted the head-coaching job at St. John's in April.
The Red Storm program didn't just slip. It imploded. And not just on the court.
For decades the unquestioned kings of the New York City hoops scene, St. John's hit rock bottom in 2003-04. That former coach Mike Jarvis couldn't get the best players in town to play for the program had long been evident, a fact underscored by his team's seeming underachievement over the years.
But worse, a pair of scandals, the first involving drugs and the second involving players visiting a Pittsburgh strip club, led to Jarvis' firing in February, making him the first coach in Big East history to be relieved of his duties in mid-season.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Parker's career-high 30 lead Duke by UNC
- Florida routs Kentucky to finish 18-0 in SEC
- WVU overcomes Wiggins' 41 to stun Kansas
- Ducks down No. 3 Arizona to win 7th straight
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM