Team preview: Charlotte
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams.COACH AND PROGRAM
It seemed innocuous at the time -- a rare, early-season regional affair between the defending national champions and an also-ran from Conference USA.
Instead, Syracuse was entangled in Charlotte's web, shot down by Brendan Plavich's 10 threes in a 96-92 wake-up call at the Carrier Dome.
The rest might be considered pre-history. The 49ers went 21-9 overall and claimed a fifth of the C-USA regular-season title with a 12-4 mark, after winning just 13 games total in 2002-03.
However, last season could merely be a prelude to the mother load; four starters -- including a first-team all-conference performer and a prodigal center who also chafed at also-ran status -- are back.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Harvard snags 1st spot in NCAA tourney field
- Wichita St. routs Evansville, improves to 32-0
- South Carolina coach Martin sorry for outburst
- Duke's Parker hasn't decided on NBA draft
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM