Team preview: James Madison
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams.COACH AND PROGRAM
It has been quite a year for Dean Keener.
Keener finished his tenure as an assistant coach at Georgia Tech with a trip to the national championship game, where the Yellow Jackets lost to the University of Connecticut. Three days later, Keener was hired as the head coach of James Madison, where he replaces Sherman Dillard as the Dukes attempt to return to the glory days of the program.
Dillard resigned March 7 after seven JMU seasons (1997-2004) where he compiled a 93-106 record. The Dukes finished with a 7-21 record a year ago. Keener, who has never held a head coaching position on the collegiate level, has been a part of numerous successful teams as an assistant.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Embiid (back) could be out until mid-NCAAs
- Delaware clinches 1st NCAA bid since 1999
- Manhattan wins MAAC, punches NCAA ticket
- Florida, Wichita St. remain 1-2; UK falls out
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM