Team preview: Hofstra
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams.COACH AND PROGRAM
Hofstra coach Tom Pecora knew that there would be challenges when he took over for Jay Wright (now at Villanova) as the Pride's head coach back in 2001-02.
In addition to replacing the popular Wright, Pecora's squad would be moving from the America East into the much tougher Colonial Athletic Association in his first season -- without seven key seniors from the team (most notably, current NBA player Speedy Claxton) that won 26 games and owned the America East.
As if that one-two punch wasn't difficult enough, Hofstra's was bitten -- make that devoured -- by the injury bug. Last season, Hofstra players missed a combined 78 games with starters Wendell Gibson and Carlos Rivera both suffering season-ending knee injuries within a week of each other.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Florida routs Kentucky to finish 18-0 in SEC
- WVU overcomes Wiggins' 41 to stun Kansas
- Ducks down No. 3 Arizona to win 7th straight
- Michigan uses late 3-pointer to dash Indiana
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM