Team preview: Columbia
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams.COACH AND PROGRAM
If the Ivy League handed out a coach-of-the-year award, it would have been stunning if Joe Jones wasn't the recipient last winter.
In his first year as a collegiate head coach, Jones inherited a 2-25 team that finish 325th in the RPI rankings out of 326 programs and won 10 games. When asked last August about his team's outlook, Jones said, "As of this moment, I honestly have no idea about this season, but we are here to build a program."
And building is exactly what Jones is doing.
After a winless 0-14 campaign in the Ivy League in 2002-03, the Lions tied for fourth last season at 6-8 and came within a double-overtime loss against Princeton of finishing in fourth place by itself at 7-7.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Harvard snags 1st spot in NCAA tourney field
- Wichita St. routs Evansville, improves to 32-0
- South Carolina coach Martin sorry for outburst
- Duke's Parker hasn't decided on NBA draft
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM