Team preview: St. Francis (Pa.)
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams.COACH AND PROGRAM
What's wrong with Darshan Luckey?
The question was presented to St. Francis head coach Bobby Jones on multiple occasions last season, with everybody wanting to know why one of the top guards in the NEC's scoring was down from his sensational freshman year.
After earning first-team all-league honors while averaging 21.6 points his first season, Luckey's offense dropped to 17.6 last year, and he wound up on the all-league second team as a result.
"He has to understand people get up for playing him," said Jones, who wouldn't officially call it a "sophomore slump" for Luckey. "I think he will be a better player because of [last season]."
Jones does have a lot of theories for the drop off in Luckey's production:
Teams were better at defending him after a year in the league. He was not able to get to the free-throw line as often (157-for-202 in 2002-03, 135-for-171 last year). He played with a senior point guard, Dan Swoger, as a freshman. He didn't work as hard.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Harvard snags 1st spot in NCAA tourney field
- Wichita St. routs Evansville, improves to 32-0
- South Carolina coach Martin sorry for outburst
- Duke's Parker hasn't decided on NBA draft
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM