Team preview: Navy
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams.COACH AND PROGRAM
New Navy coach Billy Lange is looking backward to take his program forward. "How many teams not in the ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Pac-10 or SEC can say they've been to an Elite Eight in the last 20 years?" he asked. "And had a player of the year and the academic All-Americans Navy has had? My biggest concern is getting these players to grasp the incredible responsibility they have as basketball players in this program."
Those Midshipmen may understand that history. They see the trophies and remember hearing about David Robinson and that great 30-win team of 1985-86. In recent years, though, they haven't been able to make much history of their own. Since last reaching the Patriot League title game in 2002, the Midshipmen have sunk in the standings to back-to-back sub-10-win seasons.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Florida routs Kentucky to finish 18-0 in SEC
- WVU overcomes Wiggins' 41 to stun Kansas
- Wichita St. pounds Missouri St. to reach 33-0
- Smart move? Iowa St. fans tease star, 'flop'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM