Team preview: Monmouth
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams.COACH AND PROGRAM
The Hawks will be looking to buck the odds when they take the court this season to defend their NEC Tournament title.
The league has not had a repeat champion since Rider in 1992-93 and 1993-94, but Monmouth believes it has the players to snap that streak
"I think our guys are ready to go," coach Dave Calloway said.
Monmouth got a head start on its title defense with a five-game trip to Spain this summer. However, the Hawks were without their best player, 6-7 senior forward Blake Hamilton, because of an injury. The first-team all-conference Hamilton (16.3 ppg, 6.4 rpg) broke his foot in the spring and Calloway held him out as a precaution.
"We are slowly getting him ready," Calloway said. "We want to make sure he's fully recovered."
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Wichita State reaches 34-0, wins MVC final
- Fond farewell: Terps stun Virginia in ACC finale
- Nebraska upsets ninth-ranked Wisconsin
- Cuse closes regular season with rout of FSU
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM