Team preview: Clemson
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2004-05 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams.COACH AND PROGRAM
Clemson coach Oliver Purnell spent August in Athens, Greece with the U.S. Olympic basketball team. The veteran coach served, along with North Carolina's Roy Williams, as an assistant to head coach Larry Brown. And while Purnell wasn't happy that the favored Americans finished a disappointing third, the experience could be seen as a promising object lesson for the Clemson coach.
What Purnell saw in Athens was that the most talented team doesn't always win. He saw that teamwork and superior effort can trump superior physical gifts. Can he put that knowledge to use this season as he returns to coach a Clemson team that will have to find other ways to compete with the more talented teams it will face in the ACC? "If you're really together as a team, you can accomplish great things," Purnell said.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Embiid (back) could be out until mid-NCAAs
- Florida, Wichita St. remain 1-2; UK falls out
- Delaware clinches 1st NCAA bid since 1999
- Manhattan wins MAAC, punches NCAA ticket
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM