Team preview: South Alabama
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2003-04 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 327 Division I teams.
After breaking more than a decade-long association with Rick Pitino and Billy Donovan, John Pelphrey finally looked like a good bet for a losing season in 2002-2003.
But Pelphrey's arrival at South Alabama produced a .500 record (14-14), impressive considering he inherited a team that had gone 7-21 the year before. And the former Kentucky sharpshooter did so while implementing an exciting up-and-down style that features a lot of pressing and trapping and three-point shooting.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Wichita State reaches 34-0, wins MVC final
- Fond farewell: Terps stun Virginia in ACC finale
- Nebraska upsets ninth-ranked Wisconsin
- Cuse closes regular season with rout of FSU
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM