Team preview: Florida International
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2003-04 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 327 Division I teams.
After winning 18 games in his first two seasons at Florida International, head coach Donnie Marsh thought he had assembled a squad that would allow the program to take a step forward last season. But injuries and off-the-court headaches fueled a wave of attrition that left Marsh's team walking the ball up the court, and, for long stretches, making wide open perimeter jumpers look like prayers.
FIU opened 4-0, including wins against Iona and at Princeton, despite dressing nine players. Kevin Harvey was expected to play point guard, but never recovered from off-season surgery, and Marsh's frontcourt was decimated.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Florida routs Kentucky to finish 18-0 in SEC
- WVU overcomes Wiggins' 41 to stun Kansas
- Smart move? Iowa St. fans tease star, 'flop'
- Harvard snags 1st spot in NCAA tourney field
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM