Team preview: Coppin State
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2003-04 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 327 Division I teams.
For most of the 1990s, the flagship program in the MEAC was Coppin State.
Led by head coach Ron "Fang" Mitchell, Coppin dominated the league-going undefeated twice in conference play and heading to the NCAA Tournament three different times. In 1997, the Eagles delighted the nation as the 15th-seeded program shocked second-seeded South Carolina and nearly went to the Sweet 16 before losing by one point to Texas in the second round.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UCSB fan confronts Hawaii coach, arrested
- No. 6 Villanova seals Big East title with win
- Appling-led Spartans hit on all cylinders in win
- Kilpatrick's 34 pace Cincinnati by Memphis
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM