Team preview: UC Riverside
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2003-04 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 327 Division I teams.
The return of forward Vili Morton, a 6-8, 265-pound junior who red-shirted last season to work on his offensive will, will have a positive impact on UC Riverside, which needs some help after a 6-18 season. The 2002 Big West defensive Player of the Year and second-team all-conference selection added 30 pounds to his frame over the last year and improved his jump shot and footwork, making him a frontrunner to be one of the top forwards in the Big West.
During the 2001-02 season, Morton recorded 83 blocks, the second highest single-season total in UCR history, and finished 11th in the nation with an average of 3.2 blocks per game. This season, Morton will become the school's all-time leader in blocked shots. He currently has 118-13 shy of Tim Bell's 1980-84 record of 131.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Florida, Wichita St. remain 1-2; UK falls out
- Self 'confident' Embiid will play despite back
- Gators' Donovan harps on quick turnaround
- Players support South Carolina coach Martin
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM