Team preview: Fordham
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2003-04 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 327 Division I teams.
Anyone who has been a college hoops fan for more than two decades (or younger hoop fanatics with ESPN Classic on their cable package) knows that new Fordham coach Dereck Whittenberg has experience at bucking the odds.
Two decades ago, it was Whittenberg's 40-foot air-ball that North Carolina State teammate Lorenzo Charles slammed home as time expired to give the Wolfpack an upset for the ages in the 1983 NCAA Tournament title game over Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler-led University of Houston. The last-second miracle-and the ensuing footage of the late Jim Valvano, then N.C. State's head coach, looking for somebody to hug, is a staple on ESPN Classic.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UCSB fan confronts Hawaii coach, arrested
- No. 6 Villanova seals Big East title with win
- Appling-led Spartans hit on all cylinders in win
- Kilpatrick's 34 pace Cincinnati by Memphis
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM