Team preview: Auburn
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2003-04 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 327 Division I teams.
Rumors ran rampant after Auburn finished 12-16 and last in the SEC's Western Division in 2001-02. Despite a sustained period of success under the veteran coach Cliff Ellis, it was generally assumed that the good times had run their course and a shakeup was in order.
Ellis, the stories said, had but one season to get the program back on track, and that if he didn't get it done in 2002-03, he would be quickly dispatched to the golf course. One wild tale making the rounds was that Indiana coach Mike Davis, of all people (who had played and coached at Alabama), was said to be interested in the job once Ellis was ousted.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Florida routs Kentucky to finish 18-0 in SEC
- WVU overcomes Wiggins' 41 to stun Kansas
- Ducks down No. 3 Arizona to win 7th straight
- Wichita St. pounds Missouri St. to reach 33-0
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Auburn Tigers Full-Size Crossover Basketball