Team preview: West Virginia
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2003-04 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 327 Division I teams.
When coach John Beilein and his 25 years of previous coaching experience at the Division 1 level took over at West Virginia last year, he knew right away the challenge he faced was a big one. Because of the scrutiny that surrounded the process of finding a new coach, many scholarship players opted to transfer.
When Beilein was finally hired to resurrect the program after Bowling Green coach Dan Dakich accepted the job and quickly resigned, only seven scholarship players remained on the roster.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- South Carolina coach Martin sorry for outburst
- Winthrop upsets High Point with last-second 3
- Savage will return to GW for Atlantic-10 tourney
- UCSB fan confronts Hawaii coach, arrested
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings West Virginia Mountaineers Crossover Full-Sized Basketball