Team preview: Tulsa
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2003-04 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 327 Division I teams.
For a team in a mid-major conference, Tulsa proved to be as dangerous in the NCAA Tournament as a Kentucky, North Carolina or UCLA.
The Golden Hurricane has won at least 20 games for five straight seasons and nine of the last 10. Head coaches like Bill Self and Buzz Peterson came and went while John Phillips served as an assistant. A 17-year veteran of the prep wars before living on Tulsa time permanently, he eventually took over for Peterson in 2001 and became only the second coach in Tulsa history to win at least 50 games his first two seasons. The first was Nolan Richardson.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Wichita State reaches 34-0, wins MVC final
- Fond farewell: Terps stun Virginia in ACC finale
- Cuse closes regular season with rout of FSU
- Ohio St. pulls away late, edges Michigan St.
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM