Team preview: San Diego State
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2003-04 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 327 Division I teams.
It has been nearly 15 years since Steve Fisher went from little known assistant coach to a household name. That's when he was tabbed as Michigan's head coach on the eve of the 1989 NCAA Tournament, and promptly led the Wolverines to their first and only national title. In the eight seasons that followed, Fisher's Wolverines made six NCAA Tournament appearances, including two more trips to the national championship game. He also guided the maze and blue to a pair of NIT appearances, with his career there culminating with a NIT Championship in 1997.But despite the success Fisher enjoyed in Ann Arbor, he has arguably done his best coaching job over the last four years at San Diego State.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Embiid (back) could be out until mid-NCAAs
- Florida, Wichita St. remain 1-2; UK falls out
- Delaware clinches 1st NCAA bid since 1999
- Manhattan wins MAAC, punches NCAA ticket
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- JanSport Men's San Diego State Aztecs Basketball Black T-Shirt