Team preview: Illinois
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2003-04 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, long known as the Bible of college basketball, to provide a comprehensive look at all 327 Division I teams.
COACH AND PROGRAM
How did North Carolina's struggles and Marquette's success lead to a Southern Illinois coach moving upstate to take over one of the highest-profile head coaching jobs in the country? Sit back. It's quite a tale.
The dominos began to fall at the Final Four last April when North Carolina relieved head coach Matt Doherty of his duties. Kansas' Roy Williams, a former Tar Heel fresh off a run to the NCAA Tournament title game, took the UNC job, leaving a vacancy in Lawrence that was just too tempting for Illini coach Bill Self to ignore.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UCSB fan confronts Hawaii coach, arrested
- No. 6 Villanova seals Big East title with win
- Appling-led Spartans hit on all cylinders in win
- Kilpatrick's 34 pace Cincinnati by Memphis
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth Illinois Fighting Illini #2 Orange Basketball Jersey