BC trying for historic run of its own
- The expanded NCAA Tournament field has been around for 20 years. And we all know that only one team UNLV 1991 has entered the tournament undefeated during this period. Those Runnin' Rebels were 30-0 on Selection Sunday, then won four more NCAA Tourney games before their epic loss to Duke at the Final Four.
The current Illinois team is six wins away from carrying a 33-0 record into Selection Sunday. The Illini (27-0) have three regular-season games remaining, followed by up to three more at the Big Ten tournament. If they were to win out completely, including an NCAA championship, their 39-0 final record would be the best in college basketball history.
Not bad. But neither is what Boston College is attempting to do.
In the last 20 years, only 10 teams have managed to reach Selection Sunday with just a single loss. The Eagles (22-1) are seven games from that feat seven long games, perhaps but the company they would keep is rather impressive. And, more significantly, history suggests a lengthy NCAA Tournament run would follow.
Let's look back at the "one-loss" 10:
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UCSB fan confronts Hawaii coach, arrested
- No. 6 Villanova seals Big East title with win
- Appling-led Spartans hit on all cylinders in win
- Kilpatrick's 34 pace Cincinnati by Memphis
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM