Great teams abound elsewhere, too
Originally Published: December 21, 2004By Jay Bilas | Special to ESPN Insider
- Since before the season started, everyone has been falling all over themselves declaring that the ACC is the best conference in the country. Some have even gone so far as to suggest that the league is as good as it was in the early-to-mid-1980s, or is as good as the Big East was in 1985, when Dave Gavitt's league sent three teams to the Final Four. Whoa ... take a deep breath. The ACC is really good, and may indeed be the best conference in the country, but we are getting way ahead of ourselves by saying it is as good as it was in the '80s. There are a lot of really good teams and players in the ACC, but there are also really good teams and players outside of the ACC, and that seems to be getting lost. The Big East, the Big 12 and the Big Ten all have teams at the top of their conferences that would be very competitive in the ACC and perhaps win it. There are several really good teams in the ACC, but the idea that the ACC will get eight teams into the NCAA Tournament field this year may be a bit of a stretch.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UCSB fan confronts Hawaii coach, arrested
- No. 6 Villanova seals Big East title with win
- Appling-led Spartans hit on all cylinders in win
- Kilpatrick's 34 pace Cincinnati by Memphis
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com