Early or late, experience matters
Updated: November 19, 2004, 3:21 PM ETBy Jay Bilas | ESPN Insider
- No game can even touch college basketball for excitement. It is the best game there is. Period. We get to watch players and teams mature over the course of a season, the players have to play offense and defense, they don't get committee meetings between each play, and there is the greatest diversity of playing styles of any sport.
Plus, every game matters, but not so much that a team can play its way out of the national championship picture by week two. Heck, college football gives you only a handful of teams that can win the national title. That is not the case in college basketball, where every team has a shot at the Tournament going into the final week of its season. Football can only dream of that scenario, while it is mired in its silly politics.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Embiid (back) could be out until mid-NCAAs
- Florida, Wichita St. remain 1-2; UK falls out
- Delaware clinches 1st NCAA bid since 1999
- Manhattan wins MAAC, punches NCAA ticket
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com