Pistons, Spurs, Wolves should rise to the top
- There's an old Japanese proverb that says that there are "many paths up Mount Fuji." In other words, there's more than one way to skin a cat.
Is there a formula to winning an NBA championship? You'd be hard-pressed to find it if you examined this year's top four contenders for the NBA prize.
The world champion Pistons bring stifling defense, superior teamwork and a gritty, blue-collar work ethic to the table.
The former champion Spurs will hop on the back of an MVP big man, Tim Duncan, and ask him to carry them to the promised land.
The Pacers are a combination of the first three. They've got an MVP-caliber big man, great depth and defensive toughness, and enough offensive firepower to knock just about anyone out.
Put all four in a steel cage, and who walks out at the end?
The Pacers are this year's dark horse to bring home a title, writes NBA Insider Chad Ford. Here's Insider's season preview of the three other teams that have the best shot at winning it all this year.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Sources: Knicks, Jackson discussed coaching
- Noah says thumb OK, will play for Bulls Friday
- Spurs breeze past Heat with Duncan in form
- Clippers rout Lakers by record 48
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear San Antonio Spurs Tony Parker NBA Bracelet
- NBA Home
- Boston Celtics
- Brooklyn Nets
- New York Knicks
- Philadelphia 76ers
- Toronto Raptors
- Chicago Bulls
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Detroit Pistons
- Indiana Pacers
- Milwaukee Bucks
- Atlanta Hawks
- Charlotte Bobcats
- Miami Heat
- Orlando Magic
- Washington Wizards
- Heat Index