Scouting Report: Pacers vs. Celtics
- Pacers' plus-minus breakdown | Celtics' plus-minus breakdown Brian James, a former assistant coach with the Pistons, Raptors and Wizards, spent the 2003-04 season scouting for the SuperSonics. Insider tapped his NBA expertise to break down each playoff series.
This series pits two teams seemingly headed in opposite directions. Coach John Carroll did a tremendous job of regrouping the Boston Celtics for a playoff run after Jim O'Brien resigned. But it looks a little like the Celtics players took their foot off the accelerator a little when they felt they had the playoffs made, losing five of their last six and a lot of momentum. They're fortunate 36 wins gets them in the playoffs. I can't remember when that happened before.
The Indiana Pacers, on the other hand, won their last five games overall, their last eight at home and clinched the home-court advantage throughout the Eastern Conference playoffs. You can't argue with the job Rick Carlisle has done, not only this season in Indiana but also his two seasons in Detroit -- three straight Central Division titles and 163 total victories. His coaching philosophy is very sound.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Clips extend streak to 7 behind Griffin, Paul
- Source: Phil considers Knicks front-office job
- Anthony's 26 pace Knicks in win over Cavs
- Sources: Lakers not ready to fire D'Antoni
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Brooklyn Nets Paul Pierce #34 Gametime Black T-Shirt
- NBA Home
- Boston Celtics
- Brooklyn Nets
- New York Knicks
- Philadelphia 76ers
- Toronto Raptors
- Chicago Bulls
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Detroit Pistons
- Indiana Pacers
- Milwaukee Bucks
- Atlanta Hawks
- Charlotte Bobcats
- Miami Heat
- Orlando Magic
- Washington Wizards
- Heat Index