Advice for Cooper: Avoid blame game
- There was something familiar to me about the Denver Nuggets' decision to fire Jeff Bzdelik and promote Michael Cooper as the interim coach Tuesday. It reminded me of when I became coach of the Seattle SuperSonics more than a decade ago.
The difference is that I took over the Sonics from a distance. I came to Seattle from Real Madrid in Spain, taking over the Sonics' reins in the middle of the 1991-'92 season. That was a different, and difficult challenge. Cooper, though, has been on the bench with Bzdelik, and that's definitely helpful experience.
My advice to Cooper about taking over in-season as an NBA coach can be boiled down to one do and one don't.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- 76ers lose 17th straight at hands of Knicks
- Heat seal playoff spot behind Wade, LeBron
- Griffin pours in 37 as Clips take 8th in row
- Source: 'Looks like' Phil will take Knicks' job
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Denver Nuggets Washed Slouch Gold Adjustable Hat
- NBA Home
- Boston Celtics
- Brooklyn Nets
- New York Knicks
- Philadelphia 76ers
- Toronto Raptors
- Chicago Bulls
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Detroit Pistons
- Indiana Pacers
- Milwaukee Bucks
- Atlanta Hawks
- Charlotte Bobcats
- Miami Heat
- Orlando Magic
- Washington Wizards
- Heat Index