Rivers given a flawed roster
- With the firing this week of Doc Rivers, the Orlando Magic close the coaching chapter on the worst start in franchise history. There's no question Doc's departure was inevitable. Anyone in that position would be out on his backside, especially without his star pupil coming to his defense.
I spoke to Doc on Tuesday, and you could hear the strain in his voice from that 10-game losing streak. Yet he still felt that with the return of Gordon Giricek, the team would respond and potentially right a ship that had drifted aimlessly off course. Unfortunately, the coach won't be along to steer that new direction, and management seems fit to make Rivers the scapegoat for a team mired a level or two below mediocrity.
But where should the blame for this organization's shortcomings really be placed? I think with management.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Spurs breeze past Heat with Duncan in form
- Clippers rout Lakers by record 48
- LeBron says sleeved jersey partly to blame
- Noah recruits Melo to join Bulls, sources say
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- The Highland Mint Orlando Magic Amway Center Signature Stadium Photo
- NBA Home
- Boston Celtics
- Brooklyn Nets
- New York Knicks
- Philadelphia 76ers
- Toronto Raptors
- Chicago Bulls
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Detroit Pistons
- Indiana Pacers
- Milwaukee Bucks
- Atlanta Hawks
- Charlotte Bobcats
- Miami Heat
- Orlando Magic
- Washington Wizards
- Heat Index