Maxiell, Manuel shine; Williams, Miles sputter
On day two of the PIT, UNC's Jackie Manuel emerged as a standout. But NBA scouts still are not impressed with this talent pool.
- PORTSMOUTH, Va. Day two of Portsmouth got off to a bang on Thursday when the NBA released to teams the official measurements of the campers.
You know there's a problem when the league refuses to issue the heights and weights to the media. But with a little persuasion, Insider got a copy from an NBA scout. Now we know what they were hiding.
The best player in the camp, Cincinnati's Jason Maxiell, measured in at 6-foot-5¾ inches without shoes. Talk about your undersized power forwards. Maxiell does have a freaky 7-foot-2 inch wingspan. But his measurement, 6-foot-6¾ in shoes, seemed to dampen the parade.
It's too bad, too, because for the second straight day, Maxiell tore up the camp, scoring 20 points and grabbing four rebounds. At one point, Maxiell nearly tore down the backboard on a dunk. On another play, he spiked an opponent's shot like a volleyball back into the floor.
But after two straight heart-thumping performances by Maxiell, three straight GMs said exactly the same thing to me within a 10-minute period.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Sources: Knicks, Jackson discussed coaching
- Noah declines to talk about Carmelo 'gossip'
- Spurs breeze past Heat with Duncan in form
- LeBron says sleeved jersey partly to blame
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- JanSport Youth North Carolina Tar Heels Carolina Blue Basketball T-Shirt
- NBA Home
- Boston Celtics
- Brooklyn Nets
- New York Knicks
- Philadelphia 76ers
- Toronto Raptors
- Chicago Bulls
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Detroit Pistons
- Indiana Pacers
- Milwaukee Bucks
- Atlanta Hawks
- Charlotte Bobcats
- Miami Heat
- Orlando Magic
- Washington Wizards
- Heat Index