A Shaq-Nowitzki trade makes sense
Insider was on the phone with numerous league sources over the weekend. Here's the scuttle on where Shaq, T-Mac and Kobe might land in the next month.
Shaquille O'Neal's demand to be traded has less to do with Kobe than it does with his desire to tack an extra two years, $60 million onto his current contract, which has two years left. Sources told Insider that owner Jerry Buss doesn't even want to discuss such a large extension. That decision, not the end of the Phil Jackson tenure, prompted Shaq to demand a trade. Shaq knows his window to cash in one last time is closing. He's 32 now and will be 34 when his contract is up. Does anyone believe Shaq can get that type of extension two years from now? It's now or never, which is why Shaq wants to be traded to a team willing to cut the check.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Judge rules for S. Sterling in sale of Clippers
- Sources: Clips star Griffin has back fracture
- Bulls' Rose: Confidence 'through the roof'
- NBPA taps 1st big league female union chief
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Los Angeles Lakers Kobe Bryant #24 Purple Gametime T-Shirt