A Shaq-Nowitzki trade makes sense
- Has there ever been a weekend where three of the league's top five stars all began packing their bags at the same time? Shaquille O'Neal wants a trade. So does Tracy McGrady. Kobe Bryant is opting out. If that isn't enough to make you renew your Insider subscription, we're not sure what is.
Insider was on the phone with numerous league sources over the weekend. Here's the scuttle on where Shaq, T-Mac and Kobe might land in the next month.Shaq to Big D?
Shaquille O'Neal's demand to be traded has less to do with Kobe than it does with his desire to tack an extra two years, $60 million onto his current contract, which has two years left. Sources told Insider that owner Jerry Buss doesn't even want to discuss such a large extension. That decision, not the end of the Phil Jackson tenure, prompted Shaq to demand a trade. Shaq knows his window to cash in one last time is closing. He's 32 now and will be 34 when his contract is up. Does anyone believe Shaq can get that type of extension two years from now? It's now or never, which is why Shaq wants to be traded to a team willing to cut the check.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Spurs breeze past Heat with Duncan in form
- Clippers rout Lakers by record 48
- LeBron says sleeved jersey partly to blame
- Noah recruits Melo to join Bulls, sources say
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NBA Home
- Boston Celtics
- Brooklyn Nets
- New York Knicks
- Philadelphia 76ers
- Toronto Raptors
- Chicago Bulls
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Detroit Pistons
- Indiana Pacers
- Milwaukee Bucks
- Atlanta Hawks
- Charlotte Bobcats
- Miami Heat
- Orlando Magic
- Washington Wizards
- Heat Index