Updated: February 17, 2005, 1:48 PM ETBy Ric Bucher | ESPN The Magazine
This article appears in the Jan. 31 issue of ESPN The Magazine. Gary Payton strolls into the locker room on a January evening, sees Al Jefferson lounging in front of his stall and stops dead, a look on his face as if he's smelled something awful. What is this? The rookie the Celtics didn't even plan to put in uniform this season has a photographer snapping his picture from every angle and a writer at his elbow. "Just because you're getting your picture taken, don't think you're anything," Payton snaps. "Just because he's talking to you don't mean you're s---. Don't think you are. You hear?"
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- D'Antoni on Gasol complaints: 'Play harder'
- Kobe fires back at Brown's culture remarks
- Nets' Pierce, Garnett top former coach Rivers
- Aldridge, Blazers outduel Howard, Rockets
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Boston Celtics Retrograde Black T-Shirt