Scouting the Dodgers
Paul Lo Duca and Guillermo Mota to the Marlins when they were seven games up in the West. Lo Duca had been the emotional leader for the club since he became their everyday catcher. Mota was the best set-up man in the league, and Eric Gagne certainly missed him.
But nothing would deter them -- not even a starting staff marked by inconsistency -- because their bullpen depth, stellar defense and clutch hitting match up with anybody.
They also have an MVP candidate in Adrian Beltre (he will likely set a franchise record for home runs and the all-time record for homers by a third baseman) and are riding a wave of momentum.
Don't sleep on the Dodgers, who could make some hay this October.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Nats' Werth to serve 5 days for driving 105
- Phils sign Billingsley to 1-year, $1.5M deal
- Men who beat Giants fan guilty of gun crime
- Minaya leaves Padres to be MLBPA adviser
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Boys' Los Angeles Dodgers Game-winning Run Royal T-shirt