Scouting the Dodgers
Paul Lo Duca and Guillermo Mota to the Marlins when they were seven games up in the West. Lo Duca had been the emotional leader for the club since he became their everyday catcher. Mota was the best set-up man in the league, and Eric Gagne certainly missed him.
But nothing would deter them -- not even a starting staff marked by inconsistency -- because their bullpen depth, stellar defense and clutch hitting match up with anybody.
They also have an MVP candidate in Adrian Beltre (he will likely set a franchise record for home runs and the all-time record for homers by a third baseman) and are riding a wave of momentum.
Don't sleep on the Dodgers, who could make some hay this October.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Trumbo heads to D-backs in 3-team trade
- Mulder, out since 2009, attempts comeback
- GM: Cabrera on target for spring training
- Rakuten prez: No decision on Tanaka's future
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Los Angeles Dodgers Clayton Kershaw #22 Royal T-Shirt