In the company of greatness
New Angels center fielder Steve Finley is a unique ballplayer part Willie Mays and part Paul Molitor.
Originally Published: December 13, 2004By Rob Neyer | ESPN Insider
Russ Ortiz. Diamondbacks. Four years. Thirty-three million dollars. It might not be the strangest thing that happens this winter, but anything stranger will probably have to include some combination of snow and Key West.
But strange isn't the same as interesting, and the most interesting move this winter was the one including a 39-year-old center fielder, two years, and $14 million.
What to make of the Angels signing Steve Finley to that big contract? It's hard to say, because we've never seen anybody like him before.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Lester scratched from start but no trade yet
- Castro fly in 16th ends Cubs' longest game
- Machado homer puts O's past Angels in 12
- Yankees trump Rangers, Arencibia's 7 RBIs
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Boys' Los Angeles Angels Game-Winning Run Red T-Shirt