In good hands with Polanco
Who is the "best buy" among free-agent infielders this offseason? Here's a hint: It's not Adrian Beltre.
- Who's the "best buy" among the free-agent infielders? We'll get to that, but first let's look at the infielder who just might be this offseason's worst buy.
Scott Boras, the most famous and successful agent in the history of professional baseball, recently said this:
"Our contention is that Adrian Beltre had the best season ever by a third baseman. What we did was take four criteria -- 45 home runs, 100 runs scored, 100 RBIs and a .330 batting average -- and looked to see how many third basemen had seasons like that. The answer is none. There's no third baseman who's ever done it."
I have to say, I couldn't actually locate Boras's quote in any sort of reputable news outlet. But considering that two different and apparently unrelated people brought it to my attention, I'm going to assume it's real (and anyway, it's a poor columnist who lets facts get in the way of a zesty riposte).
Boras is right: No third baseman's ever done "it." But does "it" necessarily mean that Beltre's season was the best ever by a third baseman?
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Royals' Hochevar needs Tommy John surgery
- Report: D-backs, Perez agree to $4.25M deal
- Nats' Fister held out with elbow inflammation
- Padres' Maybin to avoid surgery on biceps
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Los Angeles Dodgers Chad Billingsley #58 Home White Jersey
- MLB Home
- AL East
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- AL Central
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- AL West
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Fantasy: Sign up!
- Spring blog