K-Rod coming of age
Eric Karros called Francisco Rodriguez's slider the best right-handed breaking ball he's ever seen.
When Oakland's Eric Chavez referred to Rodriguez as "filthy'' last weekend, it had nothing to do with personal hygiene. A's right fielder Jermaine Dye, who's off to a terrific start, looked overmatched Sunday while swinging at two straight Rodriguez sliders that were at least a foot outside.
That's understandable, given that Rodriguez also throws a 95 mph fastball. The two pitches have produced some downright Gagne-like numbers in April. In his first 10 2/3 innings, K-Rod struck out 18 batters, allowed six hits and didn't give up an earned run.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Marlins turn back Nats with 4-run rally in 9th
- Rangers' Darvish K's 8 in win over Yankees
- Pirates' Worley blanks Giants with 4-hitter
- Cabrera, Dickey help Jays trample Red Sox
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's Los Angeles Angels Red Full-Zip Fleece Hoodie