Guillen doesn't stop short
Guillen made three All-Star teams in 16 big-league seasons, finished with a .974 fielding percentage and led the American League annually in words per inning. When he placed a glove on his left hand, it sent an impulse to his brain to transmit a stream of opinions and observations out his mouth.
If Guillen wasn't urging his pitcher to settle down, he was reminding his outfielders how many outs there were or moving the other infielders a step to the left or right. Typical shortstop stuff, but with a flair all his own. At shortstop, he found the perfect place to channel his energy and natural chatterbug tendencies.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Yanks trade for Padres 3B Headley
- Angels won't limit ace Richards' workload
- Ryu, Dodgers 1st to have 3 11-game winners
- Jones' 2 homers power Orioles past Angels
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Youth Girls' Chicago White Sox White Glitter Logo T-Shirt