Chavez deal is Stewart's first big task
Updated: February 13, 2004, 9:40 AM ETBy Jerry Crasnick | ESPN Insider
Billy Beane's knack for producing winners in Oakland with a small-market payroll has been well-chronicled. He's also having no problems, as far as we can tell, coping with the anticipated industry backlash from "Moneyball."
Now he's on to an equally imposing challenge: A negotiating table staredown with Dave Stewart, no bats allowed.
Stewart, who's had his fill of coaching and abandoned his quest to run a major-league front office, is shifting to Phase C of his post-playing career: He's become a certified agent and will play a role in determining whether Oakland's latest marquee free agent, Eric Chavez, stays with the organization or follows Jason Giambi and Miguel Tejada out of town.
Dave Stewart is entering a new phase in his post-playing career.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Rangers trade Soria to Tigers for prospects
- Epstein not thrilled with Cards 'gift' draft pick
- Don't speak: McGwire done with Canseco
- Cespedes has 2 HRs, 5 RBIs but hurts thumb
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's Oakland Athletics Green Signature Applique Hoodie