Wagner arrives to anchor bullpen
When Billy Wagner compiles his list of personal pests, Placido Polanco ranks near the top of the pack. So it's understandable when Wagner says he's glad the two are now teammates in Philadelphia. From the way Wagner talks, Polanco is his personal Howard Dean Iowa caucus speech -- a nightmarish experience that refuses to go away.
"I wouldn't say Polanco wears me out, but I have to throw 20 pitches to get him out," Wagner said. "I'm so wore out, I can't get anybody else out."
To verify Wagner's take on the situation, we checked ESPN.com's hitter-batter matchups. Polanco, it turns out, has a lonely single in 13 career at-bats against Wagner, for an average of .077. Which proves either Wagner has a) especially high standards; or b) a memory that's short even by closer standards.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Trumbo heads to D-backs in 3-team trade
- Mulder, out since 2009, attempts comeback
- GM: Cabrera on target for spring training
- Rakuten prez: No decision on Tanaka's future
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's Philadelphia Phillies Cooperstown Raglan Light Blue/Grey Three-Quarter Sleeve Shirt