Wagner arrives to anchor bullpen
When Billy Wagner compiles his list of personal pests, Placido Polanco ranks near the top of the pack. So it's understandable when Wagner says he's glad the two are now teammates in Philadelphia. From the way Wagner talks, Polanco is his personal Howard Dean Iowa caucus speech -- a nightmarish experience that refuses to go away.
"I wouldn't say Polanco wears me out, but I have to throw 20 pitches to get him out," Wagner said. "I'm so wore out, I can't get anybody else out."
To verify Wagner's take on the situation, we checked ESPN.com's hitter-batter matchups. Polanco, it turns out, has a lonely single in 13 career at-bats against Wagner, for an average of .077. Which proves either Wagner has a) especially high standards; or b) a memory that's short even by closer standards.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Marlins turn back Nats with 4-run rally in 9th
- Rangers' Darvish K's 8 in win over Yankees
- Pirates' Worley blanks Giants with 4-hitter
- Cabrera, Dickey help Jays trample Red Sox
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Soft As A Grape Women's Philadelphia Phillies Sequin Red Full-Zip Hoodie