Writers might be best chance at Hall
If that sounds like bad news for Rose and his legacy, consider this: His ball-playing peers -- his alternative route to Cooperstown -- have soured on him even more.
Rose must be reinstated from the ineligible list by commissioner Bud Selig before December 2005 to appear on the writers' Hall of Fame ballot. After that, 20 years will have passed since his final big-league game, and Rose will have to be judged by the Veterans Committee.
Baseball Insider interviewed four Hall of Famers and Veterans Committee members at an autograph show in Houston last weekend, and the anti-Rose sentiment was palpable. It ranged from disapproval (Whitey Ford) to dismay (Don Sutton) to outright contempt (Gaylord Perry). Juan Marichal was the only one of the four who expressed support for Rose.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Headley wins it in 14th of debut with Yanks
- Schoop's 2-run HR helps O's beat Angels
- Rockies place Tulowitzki (hip strain) on DL
- Jeter becomes Yanks' all-time doubles leader
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Boys' Replica Cincinnati Reds Home White Jersey