Wells only part of Padres' upgrade
Wells, a San Diego native, is looking forward to returning home for a final fling at 40, but that was only part of the attraction. If he had re-signed with the Yankees, it would have been as back-of-the-rotation insurance for Jose Contreras or a surgically-repaired Jon Lieber. In San Diego, Wells will either start the season opener in Los Angeles or christen Petco Park on April 8 against the Giants.
Wells generated countless headlines in New York by acting like a spoiled child and wearing out his teammates. But the Padres weren't scared off by his capacity for self-absorption, or his flair for controversy. The more Wells hogs the attention, the easier it will be for Adam Eaton, Jake Peavy and Brian Lawrence to progress at a comfortable pace.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Ryu, Dodgers 1st to have 3 11-game winners
- Jones' 2 homers power Orioles past Angels
- Ortiz (2 HRs) passes Yastrzemski in Sox rout
- Verlander moves to 3rd in Tigers K's in win
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Women's Replica New York Yankees Jacoby Ellsbury #22 Home White Jersey