Baird preparing for anything
Cost-cutting is in vogue in the Midwest. Minnesota GM Terry Ryan traded catcher A.J. Pierzynski to San Francisco last week to save money, and Carl Pohlad's unwillingness to spend means Doug Mientkiewicz, Jacque Jones, Luis Rivas and Eric Milton might follow. The White Sox are shopping Magglio Ordoñez and his $14 million salary, and the Indians, in the market for a second baseman, wonder if Mark Grudzielanek might be too expensive for their tastes. Mark Grudzielanek?
Baird, operating under the theory that "you have to plan for the worst and adjust to the best-case scenarios," has assembled three game plans for the off-season.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Tigers outlast Angels for Scherzer's 12th win
- Back to Seattle: Mariners acquire Morales
- Twins call off Knoblauch induction post-arrest
- Ortiz (back) questionable for Price rematch
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear Toronto Blue Jays Classic Frozen Rope Necklace