Melvin has Brewers eyeing 2005
"I shock the hell of them when they hear it's me on the line," Melvin said, laughing.
One fan recently called and lamented the team's inability to retain franchise favorites over the years. When Melvin called back and asked the fan to name the last prominent Brewer to leave through free agency, the fan replied, "Paul Molitor."
That was in 1992, when Molitor left Milwaukee to sign with Toronto. With the exception of a Greg Vaughn here and Jeromy Burnitz there, the Brewers haven't suffered many other regrettable departures through the years. When you've had 11 straight losing seasons, you don't develop enough good players for contenders to cherry-pick.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Verlander allows one hit in 1st spring start
- MRI shows ligament injury in Medlen's elbow
- Orioles' Machado disappointed by new deal
- Cahill jams knee; Arroyo might be delayed
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- The Highland Mint Arizona Diamondbacks Signature Field Photograph