Melvin has Brewers eyeing 2005
"I shock the hell of them when they hear it's me on the line," Melvin said, laughing.
One fan recently called and lamented the team's inability to retain franchise favorites over the years. When Melvin called back and asked the fan to name the last prominent Brewer to leave through free agency, the fan replied, "Paul Molitor."
That was in 1992, when Molitor left Milwaukee to sign with Toronto. With the exception of a Greg Vaughn here and Jeromy Burnitz there, the Brewers haven't suffered many other regrettable departures through the years. When you've had 11 straight losing seasons, you don't develop enough good players for contenders to cherry-pick.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Kemp laces winner in 10th to turn away Braves
- Cards deal for Masterson to bolster pitching
- Tigers' Scherzer sharp over 7, goes to 13-3
- Scratched Lester at Fenway amid rumors
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Full Roster Replica Arizona Diamondbacks Home White Jersey