Ankiel faces mighty long odds
That's true, to a point. Most sportswriters actually do have a favorite team, for which they root in varying degrees of obviousness. But when that favorite team isn't one of the teams being written about, then yeah, they we root for the story. As fans, we simply enjoy good stories. And as writers, we know that good stories lead to good (or at least more compelling) writing.
All of which serves as my preamble to this: I'm rooting for Rick Ankiel to make good as a professional hitter, but the odds against him are long. Mighty long.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Papi's pitch: Red Sox shouldn't trade Lester
- Lane change: Ex-OF gets 1st start for Padres
- Yankees fan returns lost Red Sox title ring
- Dodgers land 2B Barney in deal with Cubs
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Little Earth St. Louis Cardinals Cross-Body Navy Sheen Purse