Ankiel faces mighty long odds
That's true, to a point. Most sportswriters actually do have a favorite team, for which they root in varying degrees of obviousness. But when that favorite team isn't one of the teams being written about, then yeah, they we root for the story. As fans, we simply enjoy good stories. And as writers, we know that good stories lead to good (or at least more compelling) writing.
All of which serves as my preamble to this: I'm rooting for Rick Ankiel to make good as a professional hitter, but the odds against him are long. Mighty long.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MLB plans to ban home plate collisions by '15
- Source: Colon, Mets reach 2-year, $20M deal
- Agent: Dodgers don't plan to trade Kemp
- Agent Boras directs barbs at Jay Z, teams
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rico St. Louis Cardinals Laser Tag Plate