Beginning of the end for some
- If I were making a list five years ago of hitters likely to see their numbers drop significantly in that coming season, I'd certainly have included Luis Gonzalez (and probably did). If I were making this list one year ago, I'd certainly have included Melvin Mora. Of course, both Gonzalez and Mora followed up their "career seasons" with seasons just as good. So maybe we shouldn't be so skeptical, right?
The problem with that line of reasoning is that 1) not every player can father triplets (as Gonzalez did) or quintuplets (as Mora did), and 2) if you base your predictions on outliers such as Gonzalez and Mora, you'll finish last in your fantasy league every year. Here, then, are five players likely to suffer significant drops in performance in 2005:
(And by the way, the 2005 projections in this column are lifted from Ron Shandler's Baseball Forecaster, and they're probably as good as anybody's).
Avg-HR-RBI OBP Slug 2004 .293-39-106 .361 .557 2005 .290-19- 85 .361 .474
You think Alou will miss Wrigley Field? In his three seasons with the Cubs, Alou hit 26 home runs in road games and 50 at home (including 29 in 2004). In moving from the North Side of Chicago to San Francisco, Alou goes from the third-friendliest National League ballpark to power hitters to the second-least-friendly. Alou's batting average and OBP won't suffer much perhaps because of the roomy outfield, the Giants' home grounds actually inflate batting average but his power is going to drop precipitously.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Reports: Cards 3B Carpenter inks $52M deal
- Royals' Hochevar needs Tommy John surgery
- Report: D-backs, Perez agree to $4.25M deal
- Nats' Fister held out with elbow inflammation
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Authentic Street Signs New York Yankees 'Yankees Rule' Street Sign
- MLB Home
- AL East
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- AL Central
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- AL West
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Fantasy: Sign up!
- Spring blog