Ignoring the fear factor
The home runs and the walks, of course, are inextricably connected. He draws a lot of walks because he controls the strike zone, which allows him to hit home runs, which discourages the pitchers from throwing strikes, which leads to more walks.
How many home runs have all those intentional walks cost Bonds (and us)?
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MLB briefs managers, GMs on replay system
- Source: Colon, Mets reach 2-year, $20M deal
- MLB plans to ban home plate collisions by '15
- Agent: Dodgers don't plan to trade Kemp
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Men's San Francisco Giants 59Fifty Diamond Tech Black Batting Practice Hat