Cubs don't need Sosa to carry them
Sammy Sosa is clearly in decline, but the Cubs should win the wild card no matter where he hits in the lineup.
Originally Published: August 17, 2004By Rob Neyer | ESPN Insider
I'm not a big fan of the wild card. Everybody loves it, but then everybody loves American Idol, too. Doesn't mean it's good. At this particular moment, though, without the wild card there wouldn't be much worth following in the National League. All three divisions are all but locked up. The MVP's going to be either Barry Bonds (again) or one of those Cardinals. And Bethany Schmidt might as well make space on the mantel for Jason's 2004 Cy Young Award.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Ortiz, Red Sox discuss one-year extension
- Yanks not angry at Cano, 'feel bad for him'
- Ellsbury goes from 'thorn' to Yanks' 'flower'
- Rangers take Seahawks QB Wilson in draft
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Concepts Sport Men's Chicago Cubs Keynote Sleepwear Royal Pants