Cards' staff gettin' it done
The Cardinals have the best record in the National League, thanks in large part to their pitching staff.
Originally Published: July 15, 2004By Rob Neyer | ESPN Insider
When credit for the Cardinals' surprising season is divided up, of course we have to start with Scott Rolen, Jim Edmonds, and Albert Pujols (in that order). But that really doesn't tell the whole story, does it? After all, a year ago Rolen, Edmonds, and Pujols were all excellent (if not in the same order) and the Cardinals finished in third place with an 85-77 record, just the seventh-best record in the National League. If all it took were those three guys, the Cards would have won last year.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Ryu, Dodgers 1st to have 3 11-game winners
- Jones' 2 homers power Orioles past Angels
- Ortiz (2 HRs) passes Yastrzemski in Sox rout
- Verlander moves to 3rd in Tigers K's in win
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Men's St. Louis Cardinals Montreux Red Knit Hat