Cards' staff gettin' it done
The Cardinals have the best record in the National League, thanks in large part to their pitching staff.
Originally Published: July 15, 2004By Rob Neyer | ESPN Insider
When credit for the Cardinals' surprising season is divided up, of course we have to start with Scott Rolen, Jim Edmonds, and Albert Pujols (in that order). But that really doesn't tell the whole story, does it? After all, a year ago Rolen, Edmonds, and Pujols were all excellent (if not in the same order) and the Cardinals finished in third place with an 85-77 record, just the seventh-best record in the National League. If all it took were those three guys, the Cards would have won last year.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MLB briefs managers, GMs on replay system
- Source: Colon, Mets reach 2-year, $20M deal
- MLB plans to ban home plate collisions by '15
- Agent: Dodgers don't plan to trade Kemp
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's St. Louis Cardinals Big Play Raglan Grey/Navy T-Shirt