Cards' staff gettin' it done
The Cardinals have the best record in the National League, thanks in large part to their pitching staff.
Originally Published: July 15, 2004By Rob Neyer | ESPN Insider
When credit for the Cardinals' surprising season is divided up, of course we have to start with Scott Rolen, Jim Edmonds, and Albert Pujols (in that order). But that really doesn't tell the whole story, does it? After all, a year ago Rolen, Edmonds, and Pujols were all excellent (if not in the same order) and the Cardinals finished in third place with an 85-77 record, just the seventh-best record in the National League. If all it took were those three guys, the Cards would have won last year.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Agent: Lester didn't tell Sox contract terms
- Jeter passes Yaz for seventh on MLB hits list
- Marlins turn back Nats with 4-run rally in 9th
- Rangers' Darvish K's 8 in win over Yankees
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Men's St Louis Cardinals Flex Bone Navy Fitted Mesh Hat