Gagne still likely one and done
A bigger role for Eric Gagne now that the streak's over, or how about expanding the World Series to best of nine?
Originally Published: July 6, 2004By Rob Neyer | ESPN Insider
The following missive arrived last week, while Eric Gagne's save streak was still alive
In a weird, abstract and ironic way, you could argue that Gagne's streak is a detriment to the Dodgers. Until it's over, DePodesta can't really change Gagne's usage pattern: can't bring him into the eighth with the Dodgers tied or down a run, can't use him two innings at a time. Until the streak is over, it's strictly one-inning jobs, and with a lead. He has been brought into tie games a couple times, and pitched two innings a couple times, but I think those were mostly games that lasted into extra innings.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Lester to A's, Cespedes to Red Sox
- Athletics send LHP Milone to Twins for Fuld
- Presidential farewell: Jeter honored by Bush
- Colletti: Dodgers not going to trade Kemp
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Photo File Los Angeles Dodgers Team Logo Framed Photo