D-Backs at crossroads
The Mariners and Royals have both raised the white flag. Now it's time for the D-Backs to consider their options.
Originally Published: June 28, 2004By Rob Neyer | ESPN Insider
Looking at the list of team payrolls for this season, we find that, with one exception, all 12 teams spending more this season than the Arizona Diamondbacks are competing for division titles. The exception? The Seattle Mariners, who've got Arizona "beat" by about eight million bucks ($78.5 million Opening Day payroll for the Mariners, $70.2 million for the D-Backs). Sunday, of course, the Mariners finally gave up on 2004.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Ortiz (back) questionable for Price rematch
- Back to Seattle: Mariners acquire Morales
- Twins call off Knoblauch induction post-arrest
- Epstein not thrilled with Cards 'gift' draft pick
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's Arizona Diamondbacks Quarter-Zip Black Ice Pullover